Planning a trip with your little ones might present some difficulties, but there are ways to make it a slightly more pleasant experience! Bringing along suitable toys can provide a source of entertainment and mental stimulation for your kids during long journeys, whether it be by plane car or train. The obvious go-to is a tablet or smart phone but as we are all becoming aware, too much screen time is bad for everybody, not just children
Selecting the right toys depends on your child's age and personal preferences. However, there are some general guidelines to bear in mind when making your selection.
- Try to choose toys that are small and lightweight. You don't want to be weighed down by lots of bulky toys, so choose ones that are easy to pack and carry.
- Choose toys that are durable and not liable to break. Toys that are made of durable materials are less likely to break or get lost during travel.
- Choose age-appropriate toys. Make sure the toys you choose are appropriate for your child's age and developmental stage.
- Choose toys that are quiet. Some toys are noisy, which can be a tad annoying on long car rides or plane trips. Choose quiet toys that won't disturb you or other passengers!
Different Types of Travel Toys
- Traditional toys. Traditional toys like blocks, dolls, and stuffed animals are always a good choice for travel. They're small, lightweight, and durable, and they can provide hours of entertainment.
- Electronic toys. Electronic toys are my personal go-to when I'm travelling with my own kids and can be a great way to keep kids entertained on long trips. There are many different types of electronic toys available, from handheld games to tablets. Just be sure to choose games that are appropriate for your child's age and don't forget the charger or extra batteries!
- Educational toys. Educational toys can help kids learn new things while they're traveling. There are many different types of educational toys available, from puzzles to games as well as computers and tablets again. As always, just be sure to choose toys that are age-appropriate and that will keep your child engaged.
- Creative toys. Creative toys play a crucial role in fostering children's imagination and enabling them to express their creativity in various ways. These captivating playthings provide a platform for kids to explore their artistic inclinations, experiment with new ideas, and develop essential cognitive and motor skills. From art supplies to musical instruments, the wide array of creative toys available on the market offers an endless range of possibilities for young minds to indulge in.
- Quiet toys. Quiet toys are a good choice for travel if you don't want to disturb other passengers. There are many different types of quiet toys available, from books to fidget toys. Just be sure to choose toys that will keep your child entertained.
Image by pvproductions on Freepik
Extra tips for packing travel toysWhen packing travel toys, here are a few extra things you should keep in mind:
- Pack a variety of toys. This will help keep your child entertained for longer periods of time and you'll have a few extra available incase your child loses or breaks one.
- Pack toys in a separate bag or container and label it with the childs name if you have more than one child travelling with you! This will make it easy to find and keep track of the toys.
Our recommended top 6 toys for travelling
• All Items are 100% Child Safe and Non-Toxic.
• Suitable for children aged 3+
• Minimum of 2 players required
• Dimensions - H28cm x W27.3cm x D22.8cm
• Suitable for ages 3 years and above.
Another classic 2 player game ideal for long journeys. This portable educational board game is easy to play, simply place your character cards into you game grids and guess who your opponent has chosen.
• Minimum of 2 players required.
• Dimensions - H2.4cm x W24cm x D24.5cm.
• Suitable for ages 3+
This artist set is provided with 150 pieces, get your drawing pad or sketch pad out and start sketching as soon as you open the drawing kit! This complete drawing supplies set comes with art pencils, eraser, pencil sharpeners, and more. Each pencil is made with the utmost care and precision to make them durable and ideal for drawing, layering and sketching. There are multiple types and colours to choose from for all your drawing and painting needs. All the materials in the set are non-toxic and odour free - well made with vibrant ink in the felt tips, bright wax crayons and richly coloured watercolour paints, oils, pastel sticks and colouring pencils. Our beautiful art and crafts for kids set provides the young artist with a wide range of materials in a compact, portable case with snap-shut to carry easily. Suitable for use at home or school to bring creative ideas to life.
• Includes 150 pieces - 36 x Marker pens, 24 x Wax crayons, 24 x Oil pastels, 24 x Colouring pencils, 12 x watercolour paints, 1 x Brush, 1 x Palette, 1 x Pair of scissors, 1 x Sharpener, 1 x Ruler, 1 x Eraser,
• Dimensions: H30cm x W36.4cm x D4cm
• Suitable for ages 3 years+
• Designed with lots of interactive buttons including a light-up horn, indicators, gear stick, ignition key and turning wheel, ideal for stimulating motor development while toddlers pretend play as though they're driving their own car.
• Requires 3 x AA Batteries - Please note batteries are not included.
• Dimensions: H18cm x W22cm x D32cm.
• Suitable for children aged 12M+
Hey Duggee Toy Till/Cash Register
A great educational travel toy perfect for medium to long journeys in the car. It's small, compact and
• Includes: 1x Hey Duggee Cash Register , Assortment of Hey Duggee Squirrel Toy Money Notes, Assortment of Toy Coins, 1x Toy Credit Card & An Assortment of Groceries.
• Requires 2x AAA Batteries (Included).
• Suitable for ages 3+